Marcillac wine appellation in the South West France region of France

Foodtourist.com Restaurants, Wine, Travel, Opinions

Review
 
Marcillac wine appellation
Wine appellation

Reviewed By

Sue Dyson and Roger McShane
Country: France

Marcillac is a red wine and rose appellation in the South West region of France in the north west of the Aveyron region. The communes belonging to the appellation are Balsac, Clairvaux-d'Aveyron, Goutrens, Marcillac-Vallon, Mouret, Nauviale, Pruines, Salles-la-Source, Saint-Christophe-Vallon, Saint-Cyprien-sur-Dourdou and Valady. It was first established in April 1990 and covers a mere 178 hectares lying south-west of the famous Laguiole and north-west of Millau with its famous viaduct.
The wines produced here can be quite tannic when young but can soften into quite perfumed, graceful reds within two or three years.
The principal grape variety is the red Mansois which is also known as Fer Servadou which must comprise 90% of the blend. The remaining 10% can comprise Prunelard, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Note that this list was updated recently (Decree 1284 in November 2009) removing Cabernet Franc from the permitted varieties. The inclusion of Prunelard is quite significant as it is an ancient and quite rare grape that is indigenous to the region and has only recently been permitted to be included in an AOC wine here and in the nearby Gaillac appellation.
There is only about 60 producers in this appellation with some of the best being Domaine du Cros (you can find their Lo Sang Del Pais at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Paris), Domaine Matha and Le Vieux Porche.
 
     
     
     


Foodtourist.com - Independent commentary on the Web since 1996

Copyright | Disclaimer| Privacy Policy